Family Photo

Family Photo

About Us

My photo
We met over 8 years ago at church as Shaun was walking in and I was walking out. The few words exchanged sparked an interst that kept Shaun coming back. When we FINALLY began dating 4 years later we soon knew there was something special here. Our first year quickly flew by and we both decided we never wanted to spend another year with anyone else or without each other. We married in the place where it all began on January 1, 2011 (1/1/11) and gave birth to our beautiful daughter Ava Marie on September 22, 2011 our next little one, Clara Rose came 16 months later on February 11, 2013. This blog began with our preparation with our wedding and has entered into recording the days and events of our newlywed life and new motherhood.

The Happy Couple...

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Ava Marie

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Clara Rose

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Gabriel's ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Twins ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Monday, May 30, 2011

Content with the Ordinary

This weekend Shaun & I had what I think was a beautiful weekend together.  We celebrated with a Memorial Day Party at his brother Pat's house and had a wonderful time.  (I don't have any pictures, sorry my camera's on the blitz)
Then on Sunday after an early morning of Adoration (I love praying next to Shaun) and morning Mass (which I got to sing a little at) we had a lovely breakfast followed by an impromptu trip to go fishing together (he caught 3... I caught nada) which always brings back memories of our time of courtship and his proposal which brought with it, my ring on the end of my fishing pole.  Therefore, even when I catch nothing, I look over and remember that my greatest catch was found on the end of my pole and it's hard to top that! 



We then stopped for lunch in the country and later had a great night watching a movie together. 

AMISTAD

GREAT movie, but a huge tear jerker for me.  I had to stop in the middle and collect myself.  I cannot help but be moved deeply when I see the suffeing that was undergone by these people.  I was so grateful for the gift of freedom and the many things I take for granted.  It was a good thing to remember on Memorial Day weekend. 

There's one scene where a woman who is captured and forced onto the slave ship delivers her baby in the midst of a terrible storm and all the other slaves, chained together work together to raise the baby up above the tossing and turning bodies to save it.  I completely broke down.  I thought of Ava Marie and how comfortable we've been throughout our pregnancy. 

(Here she is at her 20 week Ultrasound)

Then I thought of how many other mothers lose hope and take the GIFT of their children for granted and just discard them at the nearest abortion clinic while there are those who are desperately hoping for a child would take their children and save it.  Freedom has become SO distorted.  But I digress...

Later that evening we headed off to a meeting to help organize the Corpus Christi Procession in a few weeks, which is a beautiful celebration in honor of Jesus truly present in the Blessed Sacrament.  We love attending and helping to prepare by lining the streets with flowers. 

Today (Memorial Day) Shaun & I were actually able to sleep in and wake up totally refreshed.  What a gift!  I know it's one I probably will not be indulging in soon. 

We began the day with a beautiful Memorial Day Mass which we both cried through due to the hymns. 
(evidently this does not have the same effect on everyone... hmmm)

I cannot make it through the National Anthem and when I hear Shaun go silent and the tears start to run down his cheeks, I'm so grateful for his service as an Army Ranger and that of others. I was lucky enough to run into one of our servicemen in uniform later in the day while out on errands and shake his hand.  He was eating and concerned that his hands would be dirty when I reached out mine to take his.  I assured him that didn't matter and he in humility shook my hand firmly and in what looked like grateful embarrassement just said, "It was my honor". 

After Mass we were off for breakfast and then came home to work on the yard and house together.  We both felt really motivated despite the heat and humidity and we tend to work well as a team.  On a whim we decided to plant window boxes and went out shopping for flowers and came home to work on them together.  It was a wonderful little memory. 
Little did he know that I had always dreamed when moving around a lot and living in a one (small) room apartment for over 8years that one day I would have a home ...where I could plant window boxes.  Something simple, but something I dreamed of.  And the man who made all my dreams come true when he said "I do" makes them come true over and over again in the little ordinary ways.

I used to think that to please God or live a worthy life, I had to do "GREAT things", but now as I've grown a little older in my faith and begun to understand the gifts God sends us in the smallest things, whether I'm hanging laundry on the line, planting flowers, digging in the dirt, cleaning the house, folding laundry or enjoying a simple dinner and a movie with my husband.  I cannot help but feel intense gratitude and find myself content with the Ordinary things in life.

2 comments:

  1. perfectly stated :) couldn't agree more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wrote so beautifully, which touched my heart today (Thank you so much for writing this and understanding! May God Bless you!):"Then I thought of how many other mothers lose hope and take the GIFT of their children for granted and just discard them at the nearest abortion clinic while there are those who are desperately hoping for a child would take their children and save it."

    **********************************

    I can totally relate to what you wrote above! Ed and I would LOVE to have a child, but due to our ages and medical issues (Ed and I were married in our early forties. I found out I have endometriosis stage four eight months after we were married! We still tried to have children though and I've had two surgeries so far.), we were unable to have one so far. We still hope and pray to be blessed with children every day! I have run into so many people who have had abortions, which saddens me. The blessing of a child is a gift from God! We would open our arms and hearts to adopt any child in danger of being aborted or/and needs a good home. I would adopt them all, if I could! I ADORE children! In the meantime while I'm waiting to someday hopefully be a Mama, I love to help other Mamas and Mamas To Be. I especially enjoy praying for all Mamas To Be and their precious unborn babies!

    Thinking of you, Shaun, and Ava Marie (LOVE the name!)! You and Ava Marie remain in my prayers, my friend!

    Someday Ed and I would love to go to Mass with you and hear you sing! That would be wonderful!

    Love,
    Maria :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and say hello! I love comments!