Family Photo

Family Photo

About Us

My photo
We met over 8 years ago at church as Shaun was walking in and I was walking out. The few words exchanged sparked an interst that kept Shaun coming back. When we FINALLY began dating 4 years later we soon knew there was something special here. Our first year quickly flew by and we both decided we never wanted to spend another year with anyone else or without each other. We married in the place where it all began on January 1, 2011 (1/1/11) and gave birth to our beautiful daughter Ava Marie on September 22, 2011 our next little one, Clara Rose came 16 months later on February 11, 2013. This blog began with our preparation with our wedding and has entered into recording the days and events of our newlywed life and new motherhood.

The Happy Couple...

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Ava Marie

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Clara Rose

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Gabriel's ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Twins ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Thursday, August 11, 2011

My Mother... the Artist



Tonight I went to see my Mother's paintings displayed in an art show in downtown New Bedford.  I was SO proud of her.  She has never really "painted" and never taken formal lessons before and I have really been overjoyed with how much pleasure she has been having in exploring her gifts. 

She has always been artistically gifted and when we were little growing up, she would reward good grades or behavior with a hand drawn picture of anything we wanted.  My brother often chose superheros from his comic books and I usually chose some fashion character from the comic book I would read "Katy Keene Supermodel".  Ha!

I remember her sketching and even combining her talents of baking/cooking and art to enter contests for cake decorating or cocoa painting.  She worked on this one piece of the Pieta painted entirely in cocoa (chocolate powder) and I remember it looking amazingly accurate considering she was painting in chocolate on a large hardened piece of sugar.

Our family overall has always been artistically gifted, either through drawing, painting, writing, music or languages.  My grandmother (who I can remember playing piano as a child in her home, before she had a serious stroke when I was eight) always encouraged her children to draw.

My mother continued to encourage us and both my brother and I went to school for art through our high school years.  Afterwards I did not pursue art as much and after a while Mom always would encourage me to "get back to it".  I'd quip back... "Look who's talking".

I'm so happy that she has finally gotten involved with a group that promotes the arts in our area, particularly to seniors.  They meet up to 4 times a week from 9am-1pm and all their supplies are provided for.  She loves it!  What a gift.

This evening I finally was able to come and proudly admire two of her recent pieces (along with many many others) displayed beautifully in a gallery in downtown New Bedford.  I'm so proud of her.

Wouldn't you be?



"My mother... the Artist!"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and say hello! I love comments!