Family Photo

Family Photo

About Us

My photo
We met over 8 years ago at church as Shaun was walking in and I was walking out. The few words exchanged sparked an interst that kept Shaun coming back. When we FINALLY began dating 4 years later we soon knew there was something special here. Our first year quickly flew by and we both decided we never wanted to spend another year with anyone else or without each other. We married in the place where it all began on January 1, 2011 (1/1/11) and gave birth to our beautiful daughter Ava Marie on September 22, 2011 our next little one, Clara Rose came 16 months later on February 11, 2013. This blog began with our preparation with our wedding and has entered into recording the days and events of our newlywed life and new motherhood.

The Happy Couple...

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Ava Marie

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Clara Rose

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Gabriel's ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Twins ticker

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Nursery is a special place...


Recently I decided to label the bins under the changing table in Ava's nursery and wanted to do something a little different. I picked up some leaves from the craft store and cut off a few...

Then I wrote out the labels on silver rimmed tags...

Cut a notch in each leaf...

Threaded the ring of the tag through...

And hooked each link through the basket weave...

Now everything is labeled so everyone (even the hubby) can find where things go with ease! *wink*

Honestly, Miss Ava's nursery is the most "calming" room in the house.  We find ourselves sitting there and taking in the peaceful atmosphere.  The child that sleeps there seems to cast a magical spell over the room and brings laughter, joy and serenity just by her presence.

This room began as a spare room in Shaun's home before we were married and was adorned with a simple lightcolored Queensized bed and an exquisite handmade quilt, crafted by his Mom. 

When we married I took a lovely Afgan (which was made by the thoughtful hands of one of the grandparents of two sweet children I'd taught over the years and given as our wedding gift) and placed it at the end of the bed.  ...my favorite color is green and it matched perfectly!

Then we found out very shortly after we were married that we were already expecting.  As I began to decorate the nursery, I decided I wanted something that would be appropriate for either a girl OR a boy (or both) and that would also compliment Shaun's mother's quilt.  

Since I grew up in the country on 13 acres of land surrounded by woods and trees and had a special love of nature, I decided to surround my little babe with ...trees ...and whimsy!
 I wanted her to be inspired to reach for her dreams!
 To feel loving arms above her as she slept!

In our expectation for this baby we were blessed with SO many things!  One such thing was a soothing glider given by Shaun's sister, Mary (Ava's godmother) who had years before spent hours rocking her girls to sleep in this chair. 

I have also spent hours rocking and staring at this angel that has somehow found her way into my arms and falls asleep at my breast.  A lot of motherly love rests in this place.

I draped it with a gorgeous pink and green blanket also nimbly crocheted by my cousin, who ironically had learned how to crochet years before I was born on our front yard surrounded by trees and listening to the loving voice of my "Nana" instruct her. 

Years later I also was taught by that same loving voice on that same yard surrounded by trees... I wish now that I could remember every word she said to me. 

My cousin told me when she gave me the quilt "I hadn't crocheted in years but when I began ...it was as if my hands remembered how".  I felt like it was a gift partly from my "Nana" herself and keep it close to Ava and I.  ...they would have loved each other.

This talk of trees is making me think as I write, that I hope as Ava grows that she will learn the lessons taught in one of my favorite stories.  I read it each year to the children I taught.  It's called  The Tale of the Three Trees. 

In this story, three young trees discuss the hopes and dreams each has of becoming something "great".

As the story progresses, the trees grow older and consequently they each go through times of difficulty and heartbreak where it seems as if their once great dreams will never be realized and they are tempted to despair.  Each becomes discouraged to think that their great dreams are now reduced to becoming something far more "ordinary" than they had originally desired for themselves. 

Finally each in turn realizes that they were seeing their fates through blind eyes.  Suddenly they realize that somehow they had actually become exactly what they were supposed to become and that God's plan for them had been far greater than the plans they had originally had for themselves...  isn't that the truth!


When I look down upon my child as I change her on that table or rock her in that chair or bend over her crib to gaze at her sleeping silently and trustingly ...I also realize that God's plan for me was much greater than that I had for myself and for many years he has cradled me also in his protecting arms, watched me with lovingly as I slept, cleaned up my messes and cared for me with the most unconditional love.

As Lent begins, I'm not certain where this journey will take me.  I'm more aware than I was in my days of youthful zeal, of my own weakness and inability to perfectly do everything I resolve.  I will still try to grow and sacrifice with generosity, but mostly I will strive to become even more thankful for the gifts he has given to me and hopefully learn to trust him more in his plan for me and my family.  After all... isn't that what Lent is all about?  Remembering once again that he is worthy of our trust and how much he loves us?  Let us all become like His children and remember again...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and say hello! I love comments!